Spinach and Chorizo Breakfast Nests
1 big handful of baby spinach
1 small piece of chorizo, cut into slices
1/3 punnet of mushrooms
2 tbsp. olive oil
Note: I pre-fried my mushrooms the night before in some olive oil and a teaspoon of garlic to make it easier in the morning.
Portions: 1 (Easy to duplicate!)
1. Fry your mushrooms if you haven’t already done so. (I like to fry them in olive oil, 1 tspn of crushed garlic, salt pepper and mixed herbs to taste.)
2. Fry your chorizo in your olive oil on a high heat for 5 minutes or until the pieces brown on the outside.
3. Simply add your mushrooms and baby spinach and fry until the spinach wilts. This usually only takes a minute.
4. Push your spinach, chorizo and mushroom mix into the centre of the pan and then hollow out a space in the middle to create your nest.
5. Crack an egg in the centre and fry until done. Use a cover to get the top of the egg to cook without burning the bottom.
This breakfast goes great with a coffee made with creamy coconut milk, or “black” rooibos tea.