Tomato and Bacon Roasted Cauli with Hake
I did a wellness test and found out that I needed to up my protein, which is strange because I eat SO much bacon. (That’s a joke. But I really do eat a lot of bacon.) I experimented with this little recipe as a way to get all the good stuff in in a new way.
The tomato and bacon roasted cauliflower is super versatile so don’t feel that you have to serve it with fish if you’re not into that. It goes just as well with some red meat or chicken. I actually ate some as a meal on it’s own and it was delicious!
The Mediterranean-inspired fish, tomato and cauliflower flavour actually reminded me a lot of this yum Paleo paella – click for recipe.
1 pack bacon
2 heads of cauliflower
2 large fillets of hake
1 tin diced tomatoes
3 tsp. crushed garlic
Salt, pepper, garlic flakes, parsley and lemon juice to taste
Olive oil for cooking
1. Preheat your oven to 200.
2. Dice your bacon and put it into a baking tray lined with a silicon sheet or wax paper. (I got my silicon sheet from Clicks and it has changed me!)
3. Place in the oven for around 10 minutes, allowing the fat to render.
4. Add your cauliflower and crushed garlic to the tray and mix around so that the fat from the bacon coats your veg. Cook for further 10 minutes.
5. Add your tin of diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mix around again and place on grill for a final 10 minutes – watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.
6. Baste your hake fillets with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, garlic flakes, parsley flakes and freshly squeezed lemon juice (or any spices of your choice). Cook in a hot pan with olive oil for 3-5minutes each side or until the flesh is soft and white and cooked through.