Bacon-Wrapped Basil Pesto Mushroom Skewers
These are the perfect starter to a Sunday braai. That is, if you’re willing to share them.
With your basil pesto, just check the ingredients on the back. Sometimes they use cheese and canola oils, etc. I got mine from an organic food market but it is possible to make your own. The ingredients in mine are basil, olive oil, garlic and cashews. It’s paleo friendly, and it was so good! I used the other half of the tub to make this awesome carb-free basil pesto pasta.
1 punnet mushrooms (R17)
1 pack bacon (R23)
1/2 tub basil pesto (R10)
Olive oil for cooking
Total Estimated Price: R40
Portions: starter-size serves 4
1. Preheat your oven to 200 (or better yet, get your braai going.)
2. Wipe your mushrooms down with some roller towel. This works better than rinsing them off as they tend to absorb a lot of water.
3. Lay your bacon strips out and brush them down with basil pesto.
4. Wrap your mushrooms in the bacon. You can choose wether or not to keep the stems, I leave them in because why waste? Secure the bacon in place with a toothpick or skewer.
5. We don’t always get a perfect bacon-mushroom ratio. If you have spare bacon, double wrap some mushrooms. If you have spare mushrooms, pop off the stems and fill them up with basil pesto.
6. Place them onto a grid in the oven with a drip tray below to collect any excess oil, or pop them onto some hot coals on the braai. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the bacon is nice and crispy.
7. Serve hot with some Tobasco or dipping sauce of your choice.