Sweet Potato Hash Breakfast
One of the hardest things to get used to is not eating bread.
It just feels weird to have your breakfast without toast – or something to put your egg and bacon onto. That’s where the sweet potato hash comes in. It’s super easy, paleo-friendly and it tastes good on its own. Most importantly, it makes a great base for the rest of our food.
1 pack bacon (R23)
2/3 eggs (R5)
1 large sweet potato (or 2 small ones) (R15)
1. punnet of mushrooms (R17)
1 avo (R4)
Salt, pepper and spices to taste
Olive oil for cooking
Total estimated price: R64
1. Fry your bacon using a little bit of olive oil. It usually takes 7-10minutes to get it nice and crispy.
2. Use the remaining bacon fat in the pan to fry your mushrooms, along with some salt, pepper and mixed herbs.
3. Peel your sweet potato and then grate it with a cheese grater. (If you have a food processor that does this faster, lucky you.)
4. Spice your grated sweet potato with salt, pepper, mixed herbs, onion and garlic flakes.
5. Turn your pan onto a low-medium heat, add a dash of olive oil and add your sweet potato. Stir often to avoid burning.
6. Slice your avo and fry your eggs to your liking.
7. Plate: Sweet potato hash, then a layer of bacon, mushrooms, fried egg, and avo on the top.