Paleo Breakfast Granola
I’ve seen this recipe all over the place but it always includes honey, after a little trial and error, I could see why: the honey is a binding agent. Instead of honey, I used date paste. You can follow the instructions to make your own here. To help the mixture bind, I made the recipe with extra coconut oil and threw in 2 tbsp chia seeds.
Best served with almond milk, although it is expensive so try to make your own. Coconut milk works, but you might want to dilute it with water as it can be very rich (and high in calories.) If you don’t like either of those, just eat it as is.
2 cup raw mixed nuts (I used cashews, almonds and walnuts, NO peanuts!)
1/2 cup mixed seeds (I used sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
2 tsp. chia seeds
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 cup dried berries of your choice (I used cranberries and goji berries)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup date paste
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Portions: 12 (size dependent)
1. Preheat oven to 180.
2. Place your almonds and cashews in a food processor and blitz till they are in small chunks.
3. Add this to a large mixing bowl with all your seeds and coconut flakes.
4. Place your date paste, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a bowl in the microwave for 45seconds.
5. Stir this mixture into the nut and seed mix.
6. Line a tray with baking paper and spoon your mix into the tray.
7. Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes mixing occasionally. It will brown slightly when done.
8. Take out of the oven and sprinkle your berries over the top, salt lightly, and press the mixture into a flat bar.
9. Allow to cool and harden and break the granola into pieces.
10. Serve with almond milk or a milk of your choice.
Always eat breakfast outdoors. 🙂