Mini Paleo Frittatas
These are so quick and easy to make and you can swop out the fillings for anything you like. (Hello, leftovers!) You can also pop different ingredients into each muffin on your tray for some variety.
I chose to try out chicken, mushroom and spinach frittatas and ham and tomato frittatas but you could also use peppers, broccoli, bacon, onion, sweet potato cubes, mince, leftover meats, garlic, etc.
The frittatas refrigerate really well for when you don’t feel like cooking breakfast.
15 eggs (R18)
1 chicken breast (R7)
100g sliced mushrooms (R7)
1 handful fresh spinach (R4)
3 slices ham (R7)
1 cup Rosa tomatoes (R6)
Olive oil for cooking
Salt and pepper to taste
Total Estimated Price: R49
Servings: Makes 12
Method: Chicken, Mushroom and Spinach Frittatas
1. Place your chicken breast and in a steaming bowl in the microwave on a high heat for 10 minutes. If you don’t have a steaming bowl, any microwaveable bowl is fine, ensure it is covered but has a way for steam to escape.
2. While your chicken breast is cooking, pop your spinach into a pan on a high heat with some olive oil. Cover and stir every few minutes until your spinach is soft and wilted.
3. Using 2 forks, shred your chicken breast into pieces.
4. Pop your mushrooms into a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper and cook until soft.
5. Place your spinach, mushroom and chicken in a bowl and mix around.
6. Preheat your oven to 220.
7. Using a piece of roller towel dipped in olive oil, brush down a silicone muffin tray. (Note: other trays have been known to stick so silicone is preferable.)
8. Spoon your mix into the muffin tray, filling each section just over 1/2 way. (This mix makes 6)
9. Crack 5 eggs into a bowl with salt and pepper and whisk with a fork until smooth.
10. Add this mixture into your tray, dividing it amongst the sections.
11. Pop into the oven for 10-15minutes. Done!
Method: Tomato and Ham Frittatas
1. Preheat your oven to 220.
2. Using a piece of roller towel dipped in olive oil, brush down a silicone muffin tray. (Note: other trays have been known to stick so silicone is preferable.)
3. Slice your tomato and ham into pieces.
4. Crack 5 eggs into a bowl with salt and pepper and whisk with a fork until smooth.
5. Divide the mix amongst the muffin tray.
6. Pop into the oven for 10-15minutes. Done!