Bacon-Wrapped Avo Wedges
1 pack streaky bacon (R23*)
1 avo (R4*)
1 tbsp. olive oil
Total Estimated Price: R27
1. Preheat oven to 220.
2. Pre-fry your bacon in a dash of olive oil on a high heat. Just so it’s cooked through but not crispy. It will turn pink.
3. While your bacon is frying, slice your avocado with the skin on – it helps to hold it together. If you have 10 slices of bacon, slice your avow into 10 pieces. (An avo can make between 8 and 12 pieces depending on the size.)
4. Let your bacon cool while you peel the skin off your avo slices.
5. Wrap your bacon around your avo slices. Don’t worry too much about presentation – after all, food is meant to look appetizing, and what’s more appetizing than something WRAPPED IN BACON! (The answer is nothing. If you didn’t know that, you’re on the wrong blog.)
6. Place your wrapped pieces on a baking tray lined with wax/baking paper and place in your oven (which should be 220′) for 15-25minutes or until your bacon is crispy. (It’s not recommended to leave it any longer as the avo can turn bitter if over-cooked.)
7. Prepare your facial muscles for smiling the ENTIRE TIME you’re eating these delicious avo-bacon chippies.
I found the original recipe for these here, but adapted it for South Africa.
*Estimated prices provided by the lovely people at Pick ‘n Pay. Subject to change. Shop online at picknpay.co.za