Easy Egg-Fried Cauli-Rice
2 x cauliflower heads (R17 each*)
1 x egg (R2*)
1 tsp. olive or coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Total estimated price: R36
1. Cut your cauli into smaller florets that fit into your food processor. Mine is tiny so I do little bits at a time.
2. Blits till the cauli is at rice consistency. If you don’t have a blender, you can also grate the raw cauli-head in a cheese grater.
3. In a seperare bowl, crack your egg and whisk it up.
4. Fry your egg in some olive oil as if it was a very thin omelette.
5. Add the cauli-rice, salt and pepper.
6. Fry till the cauliflower softens a little. It will change to a slightly more yellow colour when it’s done – usually around 3-5 minutes. Voila!
For a vegan option, leave out steps 3 and 4 and simply fry your cauli in olive or coconut oil.
Cauli-rice goes great with a healthy Thai green curry. (Recipe to follow, so keep an eye out for it.)
I usually fry one head and prepare another head for the freezer. The uncooked cauli-rice stores really well in portion-sized zip packets.
**Estimated prices provided by the lovely people at Pick ‘n Pay. Subject to change. Shop online at picknpay.co.za