Bunless Beef Burgers
1kg beef mince
1 x egg
Dash of salt and pepper and mixed herb spice.
2 x packs of bacon
400g x mushrooms
1 x pack English spinach or baby spinach
1 x onion
2 x avocados
Apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Portions: 8 patties (I usually serve 2 patties per plate.)
1. Simply add the mince, egg and spices together in a mixing bowl and use your hands to blend them all together.
2. Take a patty sized portion of mince and roll it around in your hands until you get the patty shape that you desire. Make sure it is squeezed together tightly so that your burgers don’t fall apart in the pan.
3. Fry in a pan with some olive or coconut oil on a high heat. You want to get a little bit of crisp on the outside. It usually takes 5 minutes per side, depending on how hot your stove is and how thick your patties are.
4. Leave the cooked patties to stand, otherwise they will bleed out when you cut into them and you’ll lose some flavour.
1. Fry your bacon on a high heat with a little bit of olive oil.
2. When your bacon is cooked and crispy, place it on a plate with a little bit of roller towel to absorb some excess oil.
3. Dice your mushrooms and fry them on a medium heat in the leftover bacon fat for extra flavour. Add a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
4. Dice your onion and fry it on a high heat in a little bit of olive oil.
5. In a separate bowl, mince your avocado with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and some salt and pepper to create your guacamole.
6. Get all your toppings ready for plating. If you need to heat anything up, now is the time to do so.
I like to use a little bit of balsamic reduction to finish the dish off. Watch out for added sugars and other nasties when you buy yours. I got this vegan balsamic reduction as a gift from overseas, it’s sweetened with grapes instead of sugar.
1. Gently lay your baby/English spinach in the middle of the plate
2. Stack your patties, bacon, mushrooms, onion and guacamole on top.
3. Gently drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Thanks to Chris Purchase for the recipe, cooking, help and moral support. ^_^
*Estimated prices provided by the lovely people at Pick ‘n Pay. Subject to change. Shop online at picknpay.co.za