Basic Bacon & Egg Muffins
1 x pack bacon (R23*)
6 x eggs (R11*)
1 x tsp. coconut oil (R100 for 1litre of unflavoured oil – lasts for ages.)
Salt and pepper to taste
Total Estimated Price: R34
1. Preheat your oven to 180°c.
2. Add your coconut oil to a pan and fry your bacon till it’s cooked through but not yet crispy.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk up your 6 eggs with your salt and pepper.
4. In a muffin tray, line your bacon around the edges. It doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t go the whole way around.
5. Pour your egg mixture into the pan, filling it just under full.
6. Put your tray in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. You will see your muffins rise when they are ready and done.
Serve with some fried tomato and fried banana for a full delicious breakfast, or breakfast for dinner.
Most store bought bacon has added sugar so check your packets, or if possible, get your bacon from your local butcher.
The silicon baking tray seems to work the best for popping your muffins out without any added oils.
*Estimated prices provided by the lovely people at Pick ‘n Pay. Subject to change. Shop online at picknpay.co.za